Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

wonderful root veggie stew

ok, when I see a recipe that uses turnips, parsnips, and rutabaga I don't run toward it but I did try this soup the other day and it was wonderful!! If you like potato soup you will love this.

Creamy Root vegetable Stew
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp fresh rosemary divided

1 lb yukon gold potato- diced
3/4 lb rutabaga- peeled and diced
1/2 lb parsnip- peeled and diced

2 cups veg/chick stock
2 cups water
2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper

cheese and bacon to top it

in large stockpot or dutch oven heat oil and saute onion (5 min) then add garlic and 2 tsp rosemary (1 min)
add potatos, rutabaga, turnip, parsnip, broth and water- brin to simmer cook covered 20 min.
place 3 cups veggies in blender/food processor (leaving center piece of lid off for steam to escape), blend until pretty smooth
return to pan, stir in whipping cream and salt and pepper to taste
top individual bowls with the cheese of your choice and some crisped up bacon

I had bought the smallest container of whipping cream and since I didn't know if I would make anythign else with just put the whole thing in so I didn't waste it. Serve with any type of crispy bread and a green salad

Give this a chance- you will get some different veggies (I had never acutally used rutabaga before) and it was pretty simply and very yummy!

(originally taken from Cooking Light magazine)

1 comment:

  1. Lottie,
    When I see the veg: turnips, parsnips, and rutabaga - I often flip the page over, but you have persuaded me to give this a go. Even better as these veg are all in season now.

    ReplyDelete